Sunday, October 30, 2005

Amnesty conference

There was an Amnesty International regional conference in Vancouver last weekend and I went. I met some other folks form here in Vancouver and from around the conference, so it was cool in that respect. There were different workshops, such as Business and Human Rights, which I attended, Fundraising, Introduction to Amnesty, and Fostering Community Activism, which I also attended. This was all on Saturday.

On Sunday, it was split into two six-hour workshops, Business and Human Rights, which I partook in, and Youth activism, which my age I felt disqualified me from.

I don't know much about business, and my learning curve will be really high, but I have decided to partake in a BHR working group they are trying to form here. It might not be as up front as going after governments, but its actually very interesting. There are many innovative and interesting ways that you can approach the business-human rights connection. I look forward to getting more involved.