Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Neil Young: Live at Massey Hall


I just bought the new Neil Young CD, Live at Massey Hall

It is a solo acoustic performance -- just the man, his guitar, and a piano. Not even his harmonica. The sound quality is excellent for a 35 year old recording. Taken from a 1971 performance signifying Neil'as return to Canada after five years in the States, his voice is clear and strong, at the peak of its powers. His guitar playing is complex and passionate. Contains many of my favourite Neil Young standards, including Old Man, Needle and the Damage Done, Don't Let It Bring You Down, and I Am a Child.

The package I purchased contained a DVD as well for only about two dollars extra. I haven't seen it yet. You can also buy the CD alone.

I highly recommend this release for any casual Neil Young fan.