Monday, January 16, 2006

We need you more than ever

Martin Luther King was a hero to me.

I first really got into him when I was about 23 years old. I grew up in a fiarly conservative household, and largely took incorporate the values of my parents when it came to political views. In fact, believe it or not, I was involved with the young Conservatives. Man, they were a radical bunch. Radical right, I mean.

Anyway, I eventually got the the point when I was 22, where I somehow ended up taking personal growth workshops (that's another story entirely). Though this, over time, I discovered what was really important to me. That involved getting in touch with values that I always had, but never really realized it. Values of compassion, understanding, love, tolerance.

Upon this grand realization, one of the things I did was read a biography of Martin Luther King, Let The Trumpet Sound. I was truly inspired by reading the life story of the loving compassionate, idealistic, brilliant man. I immediately took him on as a role model. I wanted to live my life according to these values, and make a difference in the world.

I also learned through my education of the life of King, about the Mahatmai Gandhi, who was essentially King's role model.


The sum of this education is that I know what I believe in, and am not afraid to take a stand for it. Thank you Martin.

Now to the here and now.

Here is a speech by Al Gore for MLK Day comparing wiretapping by the Bush administration to the wiretapping of King in the 60s.


From Juan Cole's blog, here are 10 things Martin Luther King would have done about Iraq.