Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Well, I think it's about time I tell my life story, in random installments, or at least what's going on for me lately.

I am 37 years old, and strongly suspect I have attention-deficit disorder.

I was hyperactive as a young child, and put on Ritalin. i remember sometimes not taking the pill, and bouncing off the walls and not being able to do anything about it. I had no self-control. As I grew, I became less hyperactive, but developed difficulties with concentration and focus. I would often "space out" in class. In elementary school, this was fine. However, once I entered grade 8, a had huge academic difficulties. I didn't do my homework. I failed my tests. I ended up repeating grade.

I ended up graduating hight school, but I had taken mostly business/office courses, a product of my very low level oof self-confidence at the time. That problem had been fed by my poor performance in school and my social isolation.

I struggled and persevered through several years of community college and eventually transfered to the University of Victoria, where I completed a BA in psychology.

Unfortunately, a Bachelor's in psych will, as they say, get you a cup of coffe and not much more. Since then, my life has entailed a series of failures, career pursuits that didn't work out. Social Work and Community Support Work pursuits both resulted in failure. I chose social work because of my idealism, and wanting to make a difference. Same with CSW.

After my most recent disappointment, I decided to take a radical turn and go overseas to teach English. I went to Tawain and generally had the time of my life. Made numberous friends, had times I will never forget, saw some beautiful places.

I'm tired. More later.